STATE TIMES NEWSNEW DELHI: Briefing the media about the Jammu & Kashmir Official Languages Bill, 2020, which was passed by the Lok Sabha yesterday and became a Legislation today after being passed by the Rajya Sabha also, Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh on Wednesday said that a huge anomaly stands corrected by according official recognition to the two regional languages namely, Dogri and Kashmiri, which are spoken by over 73 per cent of the population of Jammu & Kashmir.Narrating the context and chronology of the Bill, Dr Jitendra recalled that in 1957 the erstwhile State of Jammu & Kashmir, which had its own Constitution, notified Urdu and English as the official languages of the erstwhile State even though the total population speaking the two languages put together was less than 1 per cent. He said, whatever might have been the priorities or considerations at that point and time, with the new constitutional arrangement after August 5, 2019 and Jammu & Kashmir becoming a Union Territory on the midnight of October 31, 2019, there have been continuous endeavoors to correct the anomalies of the past and the Bill passed today has also sought to do the same.Dr Jitendra further elaborated that the most widely spoken language in Jammu & Kashmir is Kashmiri which is spoken by 53.26 per cent population followed by Dogri which is spoken by 20.64 per cent of the population.Combined together, these two languages are spoken by around 73.90 per cent of the population. Therefore, it was a gross injustice not to have included these two languages as the official languages, he added.Lauding the Union Home Minister Amit Shah for having followed a very scientific and logical method in arriving at this decision, Dr Jitendra said, while including Kashmiri and Dogri, the Home Minister also corrected another aberration by including Hindi which, besides being spoken by a sizeable population, also happens to be the national language.At the same time, the Home Minister was considerate enough not to disturb the earlier arrangement which had Urdu and English and thus, Jammu & Kashmir will now have five official languages.Based on the census of 2011, Dr Jitendra said, after Kashmiri and Dogri, the most commonly spoken languages in Jammu & Kashmir are Gojri which is the language of 9.32 per cent population followed by Pahari comprising about 8.03 per cent of the population followed by Punjabi.However, the new Legislation does not, in any way, undermine the importance of these languages and the matter of fact is that their status and official standing remains the same as it was before August 5, 2019, there being no change in that position, he said.Dr Jitendra further added that the government is committed for promotion, patronage and growth of all the languages including Punjabi, Gojri and Pahari which have a rich heritage and legacy.While their status will remain unaltered and same as it was before August 5, 2019, the government will make further endeavours to strengthen the mechanism for growth of these languages, he said.
Mumbai man posed as film star to lure minors online, sold child porn to international ‘clients’: CBI
Nawazuddin Siddiqui on playing different shades of lower middle class men: It makes me feel rich
‘Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge’ is timeless: Kajol on film’s 25th anniversary
Aamir Khan, Renuka Shahane and others pay tributes to India’s first Oscar winner Bhanu Athaiya
Sarah Shahi to star in ‘Black Adam’
© 2020 State Times Daily Newspaper