New Delhi:- Home Minister Rajnath Singh today used cricket parlance to define his ministry’s work but was stumped by a question about his views on ministerial colleague Mukhtar Abas Naqvi’s suggestion that beef eaters should go to Pakistan.
“The score as of now is one strong year with no loss of wicket,” Singh said in his opening remarks at a press conference called to highlight achievements of the NDA government’s over the last year.
When the 63-year-old UP veteran, with his junior in the ministry Kiren Rijiju by his side, began to take questions, a journalist sought to ‘stump’ Singh by asking a question in the cricket jargon.
“Mr Home Minister, you spoke about a year without loss but what about the ‘hit-wicket’ that your cabinet ministers often end up doing by making statements like those eating beef should go to Pakistan?” the reporter asked. He also wondered whether Rijuju, who was reported to have said he ate beef, should be sent to Pakistan.
Unable to suppress a smile, Singh just said,”All those who are in India will stay in India.”
Naqvi’s controversial remark had recently drawn Rijiju’s disapproval. The MoS for Home said no restrictions can be put on food habits in a secular country like India where the sentiments of the majority should be respected in Hindu-majority as well as Christian and Muslim-majority states.
Rijiju, who was claimed to have said he ate beef, had, however, later denied he made any such statement.
When asked whether cow slaughter should be banned across the country, Singh said, “Many state governments have enacted law banning cow slaughter.
Poor oral health may up liver cancer risk: Study
‘Pal Pal Dil Ke Paas’ to release on September 20
Zeenat Aman joins Ashutosh Gowariker’s ‘Panipat’
Suman Rao crowned Miss India World 2019
It’s a work in progress, says Taapsee Pannu on becoming a Bollywood star
© 2017 State Times Daily Newspaper