State Times News
JAMMU: An Army Jawan and a woman were killed while another was critically injured as Pakistan violated ceasefire on Saturday by shelling mortars and firing on forward posts along the LoC in Poonch district.
The Indian Army retaliated strongly to the ceasefire violation.
“One jawan was martyred, and another one was critically injured during ceasefire violations by Pakistani troops,” a senior Army official said.
“Pakistan Army resorted to unprovoked mortar shelling and firing on forward posts along the LoC in Poonch district from around 5pm,” he said.
The martyred jawan, Nb Sub Jagram Singh Tomar, was grievously injured and later succumbed to his injuries. 42-year-old Tomar was a native of Madhya Pradesh’s Tarsana village and is survived by his wife, one son and a daughter.
In another incident of ceasefire violation, a 40-year-old woman was killed in firing by the Pakistani army at border villages and Indian posts along the Line of Control (LoC) in Poonch, officials said.
“The Pakistani army initiated unprovoked and indiscriminate firing of small arms, automatic weapons and mortars from 5.15 AM in Poonch sector along the LoC,” a defence spokesman said.
Indian Army personnel guarding the border posts retaliated strongly and effectively.
The exchange of fire stopped at 0645 hours, he said.
Around 5.20 Am, mortar shells fired from across the border exploded near the house of Mohd. Shabir at Gohlad Kalran village, killing his wife Raqia Bi, a police officer said.
On August 8, the Pakistani troops resorted to firing and shelling in the Krishnagati sector of Poonch district, killing Sepoy Pawan Singh Sugra (21).
Till August 1 this year, there have been 285 instances of ceasefire violation by the Pakistani forces. In 2016, the number was significantly less at 228.
Meanwhile, 658 schools along the Line of Control (LoC) in Nowshera sector reopened after remaining closed for a week following cross-border shelling by Pakistan.
Authorities had closed 67l schools in Nowshera sector of Rajouri district on August 5 for safety and security of students in view of heavy and indiscriminate shelling.
Thirteen schools in vulnerable areas would remain closed till further orders, officials said.
Deputy Commissioner (Rajouri) Shahid Iqbal Choudhary had ordered reopening of the schools in the sector from today on the recommendation of the chief education officer, they said.
The 13 educational institutions which remained close were located in Sehar, Karahli, Numb, Makri, Niki, Sariya, Jhangar, Mohinder Mohalla, Bakshi Mohalla, Pull, Dhanaka and Dandesar, the officials said quoting an order issued by Choudhary yesterday.
These include two higher secondary schools.
The officials said while most students returned to the schools this morning, the authorities were monitoring the situation and once it improved, the 13 closed schools would also start functioning normally. Thousands of border villagers are staying in six government camps at Nowshera after the Pakistani firing forced them to flee their homes last month.
Over 200 students had to be evacuated in bulletproof vehicles in Nowshera sector by rescue teams after they got trapped in their schools in the sector last month during the shelling.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Patty Jenkins in final talks to direct ‘Wonder Woman 2’
‘Predator’ star Sonny Landham dead at 76
CBFC chief Joshi, Jahnu Barua part of IFFI steering committee
People still can’t imagine female actors as superstars: Apte
Hindi films now portraying women in a progressive way: Kareena
© 2016 State Times Daily Newspaper