New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has issued notices to Maharashtra Government and the Mumbai Police Commissioner over the hooch tragedy which has claimed over 100 lives so far.
The Commission has taken suo motu cognisance of media reports that several persons died after consuming illicit liquor on June 18 around Malad’s Malwani locality in North Mumbai. The death toll had touched 102 yesterday.
“The contents of media reports, if true, raise a serious issue of violation of human rights of the victims,” observed the Commission.
Notices have been issued to the Chief Secretary, the Principal Secretary of Excise Department, and the Mumbai Police Commissioner seeking factual details of the incident within two weeks.
“The Commission has also asked the concerned authorities to furnish information in respect of ex-gratia relief, if any, paid to the next of kin of the deceased and to the victims admitted in hospitals,” said an NHRC statement.
According to reports, most of the victims were aged between 18 and 45 years, who, after consuming illicit liquor had developed symptoms like nausea, irritation and headache and had to be rushed to hospitals.
The Mumbai Police Commissioner has handed over the investigation into the hooch tragedy to the Crime Branch of CID. The Government of Maharashtra has also ordered a probe into the tragedy.
Actor Kiran Kumar tests positive for COVID-19
Ready’ actor Mohit Baghel dies of cancer
Several drugs under trial for COVID-19, remedesivir leading contender: scientists
Amandeep Group of Hospitals honours media professionals
‘Ghoomketu’ reminded me of my struggle days in Bollywood, says Nawazuddin Siddiqui
© 2020 State Times Daily Newspaper