Lucknow: The situation in violence-hit areas of Saharanpur in Uttar Pradesh, where three people were killed in communal violence two days ago, continued to be tense Monday, forcing authorities to extend the curfew in some areas.
There were a few minor incidents of stone-pelting in some areas but the situation was by and large under control, police said.
Police and para-military personnel had been deployed in the sensitive areas of the city, district police chief Rajesh Pandey said.
Meanwhile, two senior police officials rushed to the city by the state government – ADG D.S. Chauhan and DIG Deepak Ratan – met district officials.
Satisfied at the efforts of the district administration, both officials, however, said they would continue to camp in the city till normalcy is restored.
The district authorities have sent a report to the home department and have sought guidelines on relaxing the curfew and other security arrangements with regards to the forthcoming festival of Eid.
As many as 38 people have been arrested since Sunday for the the mob violence.
Violence broke out in Saharanpur Saturday after a land dispute verdict by the high court led to some construction work on the land claimed by a local gurdwara.
Muslims in the locality took umbrage. People from both the communities pelted stones and fired at each other. Over four dozen vehicles and shops were gutted in the violence that followed.
Three people were also killed. Over three dozen people, including a police constable and a homeguard personnel, were injured, and many of them are critical, police said.
According to sources, the district administration was “still worried” about the prevailing tension on Janta road, Dholikhaal, Hasanpur and Ambala road where angry crowds hurled stones at policemen Sunday.
Taapsee, Tahir to star in Hindi adaptation of German classic ‘Run Lola Run’
Drug abuse poses serious hazard to society: Dr Sushil
Sidharth Shukla wins ‘Bigg Boss 13’
‘Haathi Mere Saathi’ not an easy film to make: Rana Daggubati
Margot Robbie to star opposite Christian Bale in David O Russell’s next
© 2017 State Times Daily Newspaper